Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Cannulate My Day

Was so suppose to force myself to catch the NHS shuttle but since it's before 9am and there is a 50-50 chance of not being able to get in...i just winged it,slept inand paid 1pounds for the Lothian bus.RM7..sakit.

Bedside teaching at 10am with a Senior House Officer.Had him before for last friday's FY1 shadowing....technically not FY1 but SHO's generally have more time on their hands.Pointed us towards an asthmatic patient,history taking was great but she's already healed..no wheezing.Darn..went to borrow another group's patient to listen for that asthmatic wheeze.I've heard a full blown wheeze.Hehe.After that,an FY1 offers a few of us the chance to take blood.I was kinda afriad to hurt anyone early in the morning,just watched a groupmate do it.He got it at first try,not as bad as i thought it would be.

Later on the day just as i was going to leave,the FY1 offered us the chance to do cannulation.Well i guess it was my turn to get some experience..big gulps and lump behind my throat an hour before the procedure.Decided to kill time talking to a patient,he was so sweet and i found out he was a composer.As in a serious composer who publishes albums.How cool is that?I googled him and he's quite famous actually.Second person i know to have appeared in The Scotsman newspaper besides a certain boxer.Totally made me forget about my nervousness.

Cannulation came and went.Had two tries just to get it in.Totally punctured through a vein the first time,i hope the guy doesn't have a big fat bruise.Feel so guilty about it.But nevertheless,i've done my first cannulation.I feel so like a medical student..

2 comments:

j@nEjUnE said...

i read about 5of ur recent posts and i just feel that i wish i was there to spend my time with u guys... maybe i should meet u all in one of the weekend... it's just 4hr train from preston...

Cheemz said...

i miss having you around too.girl talk.if u ever feel like coming,my room is always free for u..will visit u one day too dun worry