Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ready,Set....Respi

This week officially marks the start of my clinical years and i'm starting with the respiratory system.Day 1 was filled with mix feelings.The anxiety came as my tutor had expectations of us to clerk as least a patient a day and advised us to spend at least 30 hours a week in the wards.I seriously wonder if i can keep my motivation up for the next 7 weeks but i know i have to in order obtain at least a B under my tutors assesment.Had 5 other British students in my group, they all seem pretty nice but i've felt awkward moments when i find it difficult to understand what they were saying.It's english alright but tainted with the scottish slang and jokes which makes it much harder.I've just resorted to being quiet..i bet they must be thinking this chinese girl doesn't really like to talk much.I seriously need to learn to relax and speak like myself rather then trying to fit it cos i'm getting on my own nerves.Nevertheless,the anatomy lectures in the afternoon did provide some comfort as i was in familiar turfs despite the delivery in the manner of a speeding bullet.Pathology lectures were even more hilarious, it was only 1 and a half pages long,less then 30minutes.I used to do that in 3 lectures back in IMU and we had at least 4 pages each.Self motivation to read up again.Coolest part was we had cut up cadavers for Anatomy to end the day.The smell is a real turn off...embalming fluid is funky smelling.The weather here makes the models feel cold and squishy.It's a totally new method of learning but undoubtedly bringing me nearer to my goal.Funny part was, a few of us went straight to the table for the anatomy spot test even before we attempted the normal models.(obviously we didn't know)Got sarcastically told off for that.

I was more excited for the today (Day 2) because it was thoracic surgery.Even slept early for it,something very rare.The weather decided to be funny this morning and it drizzled accompanied by strong winds when i went out half pass seven.Great kan?As with any hospital, the first group of people always gets left out because no one ever knows we are going to be there.Took an hour and a half before surgery started.Half the time,i only saw the surgeon making holes,pushing in a camera and making more incisions.Only when she was waiting for the sampel results were we filled in with what was happening.It was like enlightement but not the very bright kind.Couldn't understand what she was saying again,muffled by the face mask and all.The trick is to smile and nod.It gets you through everything.

Clerked my first patient today.Nicest guy on earth if i would say,he was really patient with me and made me felt welcome knowing that i was new in the hospital.Aww..i like him.Will probably go back to visit and maybe get more history as well as physical examination done.Fingers cross that productivity kicks in tomorrow.

Today's Martha Stewart moment
Honey Glazed Chicken..oven baked,nearly triggered fire alarm.Hehe

No comments: