Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Holding Up

Last week was pretty mundane. The early stages at least.

Monday-It was difficult to start off with prior uncertainties which clouded the research project I was supposed to work on. Rather then experience the Monday Blues most working people would have, I had to fill up my courage with hopes that everything will go as planned. Luckily, the stars were shining upon us, Dr Ignacio with a slumber face told us that the project was approved and good to go. Yay one barrier over.Hmmm then? Figuring what to do next. Meet the other co-researchers and it was mostly talk that I couldn’t understand plus a short tour to meet people. Ended up assigned to shadowing a senior/friend/ex-src colleague, Inthi, who would be nice enough to show us what we would be in for. Highlight for the day was a visit to the animal house. The mice were so cute!!! The smell was not so pleasant though. There were huge scary rats around as well but contrary to the dirty black ones we usually see near the drain these were huge white rats with long red tails and blood red eyes..it’s like some horror movie. Inthi also mentioned that we would be working with the more aggressive ICR mice. (Bring it on mice, if you bite me, I’ll bite you back.hehe). It was the best day in many which had passed. Especially since I got to play basketball after months of sedentary lifestyle!

Tuesday-Nothing happened. Spend a whole day on alone time. Suddenly had the urge to go jogging..then it extended to a walk to the pasar malam and back.Satisfied.Was high on endorphins.

Wednesday- Still no news from Inthi. Ben decided we should play badminton. So we did. No one around, so we tried to tire each other out by running around the court.

Thursday-Looking for more adventure. Figured vista swimming pool not big enough, so Ben and I went for Bukit Jalil olympic sized swimming pool.

Friday-Had to go for practice session with Dr Nyut Wai for Open Day.After such a long time,still had my skills.Finally Pharmacy class test was over. Got to hangout with Ah Yen,Karen and the rest of the gang.Was introduced to an Osyter Noodle, pretty nice in fact but we had weird conversations about a certain topic not to be disclosed to others.(especially not here)And it was the first time I noticed the underground walk way connecting Midval and Gardens.We saw Big Apple Donuts but too full to buy. First time I turned down buying donuts.Guess I’m cured of my donuts craze.Not…
The night was spent at Planet Hollywood.Food was superb (better then TGIF but I still like Chilles, company too, atmosphere was superb..live band later that night.

Saturday- Whole day blur blur in Times Square then…Jay Chou World Tour 2008!!Stadium Merdeka-8pm .When I arrived, like ¾ stadium filled already. Pretty difficult to look for a seat, was walking up and down aimlessly till my friends and I settled for a seat on the aisle. Had an hour to kill while my thirst centre was signaling. Desperately looked for people selling bottled water and it was damn hot. Noticed that I was overly dressed for the event, there were people who came in just t-shirt, shorts and slippers, like going to pasar malam. Well, I had to do with jeans and high heels. The concert was superbly amazing; from the start there were already flashy lights of my favourite colour, purple. When Jay Chou emerged it was like madness unleashed. It was a mixture but he sang many of the older songs which were of no disappointment to me because I actually love the older ones a lil more. Only upset was he didn’t sing Ge Qian. As usual, there was a session with his piano which is just so encaptivating. This time with a twist, he had a transparent grand piano…so cool rite? And and he played the song from Secret , I was seriously amazed at his speed on the keys. Was pretty skeptical about the scene from the movie before but skeptical no more. Didn’t go crazy and shout stuff like Jay Chou I love you but the mood kept me really high for the night.

Sunday- Imu Open Day…had to drag myself out of bed. Was stationed along with Ben, Prasad and Mustaq to do checks on postural hypotension. The criteria was; people over 60 yrs , diabetics or people with fainting spells when they stand up. Considering those criteria’s obviously not many visitors for that purpose. So we ended up as a one stop bp station/information counter. We has many interesting characters asking all sorts of question and having to prove things scientifically like the bp on both sides of the arm are actually equal. At the end of the day we did learn a lot on rapport building (it’s really awkward if you don’t talk for the whole duration of the bp taking), definitely a lot of practice on taking blood pressure in limited time and made friend with a few budding pharmacy students handling the microscopes. Two of them even brought down 20 Yakult drinks from the 4 floor to share. They are so nice kan?

Daddy came to pick me up for dinner. Brought Karen along, so nostalgic to bring ex-roomie to aunt’s place for dinner. Not gonna write about the fuming time I spent in Giant trying to get an internet connection. The conclusion is that, I don’t have a proper one until now. As a pick me up, had strawberries from Cameron to feast upon. Yummy.

Pretty lazy to wait for rest of photos to load...next time maybe

No comments: