Saturday, March 15, 2008

HIRED

Well to my friends who are wondering why i haven't blogged for some time.No..i didn't die of boredom.It was otherwise,i got offered the job in marketing early Monday morning.8.30am.Super gila wanted me to start asap.Nevermind that i was half awake but i hadn't expect them to call.Had initially wanted to go to enquire about it then maybe bum around the whole day.Instead i spent a whole day working for the first time in my life.*pat on the back to myself*Been to tired to blog..so one time fill up after recharging.
I shall list out my job description thus far

a) photocopying(daily obligation)
First task-since it's marketing,i had to photocopy newspaper ads spanning from 2006 till current date for the IMEC conference.Took me half a day at that plus the copier wasn't very friendly on my first day.Didn't end there.They are super yim chim,can't have any other unrelated ads included and since i'm the newbie..no one told me that.Darn, had to redo.The big bomb came when my boss told my supervisor she actually wanted 3 copies.Ding ding...back to photocopying step 1.I finally completed my first task in 1 and a half days after making uncountable mistakes like binding ads upside down.Well guess i was never really good at tedious jobs.I kinda pity my supervisor kak wati for having to be my babysitter..sorry.Good news is i can handle the copier like a pro already,i'm friends with it now.Even taught a few lecturers to use it.Aha..

b)packing goodie bags consisting imu brochures
Did you know that imu now has 11 courses to offer ?
namely medicine,pharmacy,nursing,dentistry,pharmaceutical chemistry,biomedical sciences,medical biotechnology,psychology,nutrition and dietetics,master of science,PhD
Now you know.When i entered,there were only 2.Talk about cha-ching..$

c)pack for roadshows
And no, not only did they have one but they have 5 running simultaneously.The poor drivers had to drive to and fro kl convention centre about 5 times just to send all the equipment and brochures there.

d)data entry
it's amusing what people write in those enquiry forms.some even try to promote themself in the hope that someone might acually take notice.well i did but too bad for them i can't decide their fate in the interviews.

e)Faxing invitations to schools+ calling telekom helpline about 50 over times.
Did you know that telekom has a helpline at 103?You can probably get any number listed from them but the problem is only one request at a time.So imagine if you wanted the number of like say 50 over schools?Enuff said.In the end, i found out that what i was doing was a total waste of time .It was the school holidays and
the assignment was overdue by a week.Hmm nice to know.

f)Answering phones
Everyone was out for roadshows somewhere on friday, so i was finally bestowed an admirable job of answering the calls for both Marketing and Admissions,sometimes even Student Affairs too.Most of them were inquiries for the new intake in IMU.When i was watching the days before the job looked so simple,i thought it was no problem,just talk nia mar.Little did i know,my esteem colleagues are really pro counselors.They can talk and laugh with parents while giving advise while i will be scrambling away looking for some kind of help from my boss to answer all the questions that they throw at me.Got scolded once by a parent cos she called so many times and no one answered,had to listen to a guy calling from Melbourne pleading with me for 20mins to help him secure an interview on a certain date.I was seriously very sympathetic about his situation but what can i do?In the end,i just figured i would just save myself the trouble by telling them i'm just a temp staff and they can call back the next week to get proper guidance.Super kan chiong the whole day.So afriad i would disappoint.

g)Reading newspaper
Yes you read that correctly,part of my job involves reading the newspaper to look for articles related to IMU.This one is my favourite actually.

If i had to sum it all in 2 words..i would call myself office girl lar..what else??Luckily don't have to make coffee,they do that themselve.Thank goodness.

I am so sien at my job that i felt really dumb and maybe my IQ dropped 10points each time i had to do photocopying.I was super tired that i crash in front of my com everytime i got home eventhough i didn't do much.Feeling antisocial cos i'm stuck in an office the whole day and i have to sleep early,no more mamak session with the rest of the left over family members.But i'm gonna make sure i stick with the job as long as they need me no matter how much i have to complain cos it pays well.I need to remind myself to grow up and be responsible for myself and the choices i make.Sometimes i wonder if i take thing for granted,that's why i always do what i like.Looking back,i always willingly take on responsibilities ...first was SRC, then it's the silly research that won't take off.According to my bro's calculations...working for free is a very silly thing.Waste time,energy and money.Can't say i disagree but somehow i just end up doing it.

Anyway,Michelle has left for penang,miss talking to her online already.Hope she's doing well in my hometown.Pg rockss...hehe.It's like a mini KL.It has everything to offer except lrt maybe.But it's coming soon.Wonder how a new DAP state would feel like.

I found out something quite disheartening too today.An ex-collegue from my student council had to switch from partner medical school to seremban clinical school.It's really a pity cos i know for a fact that he's a pretty smart chap and a really really nice guy too.Darn,sometimes thing are pretty out of control.Even though you might have a good sponsor and think everything is sealed but it might backfire as well when mix ups happen.

2 comments:

Celest said...

Hahaha... yay!!! u listen to me... keep the posts up ok? ;)

Cheemz said...

Don't i always?Haha.Thanks for the support.Just needed a lil push to keep posting